3.12.2012

Reader

We made numerous trips to our library last week and our prize was a weekend filled with new books to explore. Audrey has recently taken an interest in picture books, (as in books with actual plot, hooray!) and reading has become so much more enjoyable for both of us.  I am counting the weeks (months, years) until we can read Charlotte’s Web, Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice.



On Saturday I stopped by the library by myself, a rare treat, and had time to browse though the shelves. After choosing just three books, I started reading State of Wonder while waiting in line to check them out. This is the way the rest of the weekend went. Every spare moment was spent with my nose buried in either Ann Patchett's novel or Claire Dederer's memoir Poser. (One book to read while downstairs, one to read upstairs in bed.  Am I the only one who does this?)





When I lived on Grand Avenue, in Oakland, I would sometimes spend a whole day in bed reading. It seems so indulgent now, but at the time it was a guiltless delight, to prop myself up on pillows in my very pink bed upon waking, begin reading and not stop until it was time to fall asleep. I watched the sun and shadows passed through the room in the course of one day. I would read an entire book, finish one book and begin another, or hop from story to story as my interests dictated. In this way I read The Life of Pi, two or three Harry Potter books, Middlesex, The DaVinci Code, Alias Grace.

I think about these days with a sense of nostalgia and anticipation. They are in my past and, I hope, in my future. My present reading is done in moments of quiet nursing and before falling asleep, light on, book in hand.

Thanks to Beth and Rebekah, your goodreads lists always inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment